Every year round this time I re-read the “Instructions for Life” by the Dalai Lama. Non pretentious practical wisdom and since there are 19 of them, even if I forget a few, some will stick with me!
Here they are:
1. Take into account that great love and great achievements involve great risk.
2. When you lose, don’t lose the lesson.
3. Follow the three Rs:
- Respect for self
- Respect for others and
- Responsibility for all your actions.
4. Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck.
5. Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly.
6. Don’t let a little dispute injure a great friendship.
7. When you realize you’ve made a mistake, take immediate steps to correct it.
8. Spend some time alone every day.
9. Open your arms to change, but don’t let go of your values.
10. Remember that silence is sometimes the best answer.
11. Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you’ll be able to enjoy it a second time.
12. A loving atmosphere in your home is the foundation for your life.
13. in disagreements with loved ones, deal only with the current situation. Don’t bring up the past.
14. Share your knowledge. It’s a way to achieve immortality.
15. be gentle with the earth.
16. Once a year, go someplace you’ve never been before.
17. Remember that the best relationship is one in which your love for each other exceeds your need for each other.
18. Judge your success by what you had to give up in order to get it.
The 18th instruction fits perfectly with today’s astrological picture. There is a very powerful New Moon in Capricorn on January 1st, 2014. Like all other new moons, the Sun and the Moon are conjunct, indicating the beginning of a new astrological cycle which coincides this time with the beginning of a calendar cycle. The New Moon brings an energy of birth, and although we still do not know what will emerge we know that we are looking forward and not to the past. In Capricorn we should proceed with discipline with a goal in mind, which if achieved we can equate with success.
But this New Moon is conjunct Pluto, the planet with the most potent and transformative energy of the zodiac. Pluto confirms the 18th recommendation of the Dalai Lama “ Go forward but let go of what you do not need, of excess baggage, give a good cleaning to your life, to your closets, bring to light what you have kept hidden. Pluto, especially conjunct with Mercury, as is the case, requires that we reveal buried secrets; it is a good idea because these secrets carry a lot of psychological weight that hinder our journey forward.
The full chart of the 1st of January New Moon is very complex and involves squares with Mars in Libra, Uranus in Aries and an opposition to Jupiter in Cancer. The synthesis of these energies is “go full tilt, complete dedication, no half –ways”.
Every one of us knows where and to whom dedicate our efforts. Personally I am planning to follow the 19th instruction.
19. Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon.
Best wishes for a transformative 2014 with the help of today’s cosmic energies.